Homeowner Tips Home Safety Tips
Protect Your Home with These Home Safety Tips
Owning a home is a big financial commitment. It is important to protect your assets and ensure that you are keeping your home safe. There are many ways to keep your house and belongings safe, both while you are home and away. Our team at HomeHunt put together some home safety tips to follow.
Exterior Home Safety
Household safety starts with the exterior of your home. If burglars and criminals cannot get into your home, they are unable to do much damage. Updating your windows and doors can go a long way when it comes to home safety. Here are some tips to ensure your home's exterior is secure:
- Replace doors with solid wood or steel.
- Install high-quality deadbolt locks.
- Make sure that your door frames are made of steel or have steel supports.
- Close all windows at night, especially on the first floor.
- Make sure no one can see inside your windows at night or when you are away from your house.
- Keep trees and bushes manicured so criminals cannot hide inside or near them.
- Check all doors to make sure they are locked before bed.
Home Safety When You Are Away
It is always important to keep your home safe when you are away for an extended period of time. Here are some tips to ensure your home’s safety when you are gone from your house:
- Have someone mow your lawn and remove your mail.
- Keep a car parked in your driveway.
- Keep a light on inside your house.
- Consider buying home security cameras to check in on your house.
- Install lights that turn on at night via a timer.
Digital and virtual tools can be very helpful with home safety. Home security systems have become increasingly popular over the last few years and will continue to improve and evolve. Smart technologies can send you real-time alerts to your phone and ensure that you know if any emergencies occur. You can also receive texts that alert you to any potential security threats, like an open window or door left open.
Whether you are home or away, it is important to do all you can to protect your home. There are many ways to boost safety that do not cost too much money. Contact HomeHunt today to learn more about refinancing options or new homes in your area.