Homeowner Tips, Home and Garden Top Fall Decorating Trends of 2021
Autumn is the season of pumpkins, warm colors, and crisp air. Many love to capture those feelings inside their homes with decorations and themes. Common fall favorites are deep oranges, rustic decor, and wicker baskets; however, there are other unique ways to achieve that cozy feeling without jack-o-lanterns and cobwebs. HomeHunt has put together this year’s fall decorating trends for you to try at home.
Color Scheme Trends
If you’re bored of mainstream fall decor and want a fresh and unique take on autumn, try these color palettes instead:
- Earthy Tones: Neutral earthy colors are always in style and can add class to a room. Earthy tones include muted browns, neutral greens, cremes, and ivory. With this color scheme, keep the decor simple for a minimalistic feel.
- Rich Colors: Highly saturated color schemes can be hard to accomplish without being gaudy. However, with just a few high-contrast items, you can create focal points throughout your home. Try decor with details of deep green, blue, red, orange, and yellow.
- Blush: Like the color of your cheeks on a fall morning, blush decor is a perfect neutral rose-gold to accent a room.
Fall Texture Trends
Having different textures in a space is essential to creating a dynamic theme. Spaces that lack texture may appear flat or plain. Sometimes just a touch of texture can change a space’s entire composition. Try some of these trendy fall textures:
- Tarnish: This popular painting style is great for rustic or farm-themed homes.
- Velvet: Velvet accent pillows are an easy way to add texture to a space. Velvet also has a slight sheen to create a focal point. Try deep-colored velvet pillows to fill a room with plushy comfort.
- Brushed Gold and Brass: Like tarnish, brushed metals have a rustic appeal. For a fun DIY, paint a pumpkin a deep metallic brown or gold to create this effect.
Trendy Fall Decorations
For a classier feel, ditch the pumpkins and leaves and try these decorations instead:
- Macrame: This bohemian style of weaving is very trendy and can be a great addition to a plain wall. Chairs made with this style offer a stylish and practical function.
- Natural Details: Though most plants quit blooming in the fall, there are still plenty of houseplants that can bring nature to your living spaces. Succulents and leafy plants can transform a space instantly; better yet, houseplants often don’t need too much tending.
- Knitted Blankets: Comfy oversized blankets are a perfect way to decorate a sofa or chair. Drape a textured blanket across the back for added dimension.
- Baskets and Wicker: Wicker baskets have been an American decor staple for decades. Revamp your walls with a textured wicker gallery. Try hanging baskets or trays interspersed with photos for a creative gallery.
- Candles: Want that crisp air scent inside? Try earthy candles with scents like leaves, flannel, spiced cardamom, and mahogany. For maximum coziness, find candles with wooden wicks; these candles crackle just like a fireplace as they burn.
Trendy Outdoor Fall Decor
If you would like to really show off your home’s charm, or perhaps are trying to sell your home, it’s a good idea to decorate the outside as well. Enhance your curb appeal with these trends:
- Fall Garland: Garlands aren’t just for Christmas; buy or make your own fall garland to wrap around banisters or the door frame to welcome guests.
- Lanterns: Lanterns can be used for a warm and traditional look. Incorporate tarnish lanterns for a rustic approach.
- Wreaths: Dress your door with a leafy wreath. Try making your own wreath with earthy tones to match a neutral theme.
- Pumpkins and Gourds: You can stay traditional with real pumpkins or try neutral-toned faux pumpkins and gourds. Turn it into a craft by painting your own pumpkins!
Whether you’re decorating for yourself or a potential buyer, HomeHunt can help you create a charming and personalized living space. Contact us today to learn more about the staging process!